Introduction through new media and pop culture
Answer the bulleted questions in discussion among peers or in writing independently.
- What stereotypes comes to mind when you think about Asian American men and masculinity? Spend about five minutes brainstorming and free-writing about whatever comes to mind. Think about how stereotypes might be beneficial or harmful.
- How does the media perpetuate such stereotypes about Asian American masculinity?
- What impact does new media, such as YouTube, have on perceptions of Asian American masculinity?
Select two YouTube clips that are created by and/or portray Asian American men. For each video, discuss/answer the following questions with your peers, or document in writing:
- How does the video portray Asian American men?
- Does the video affirm or reject stereotypes about Asian American masculinity? In what ways does it do so?
Anthony, N. (2014, May 27). Asian American masculinity: A study in new media. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3hkY1Fwypk
- What are your reactions to this video?
- What are some practices that Asian American men use to construct masculinity mentioned in the above video?
- Do you agree or disagree with the critical analysis of such practices in the video above? Why or why not?
- How can the discourse around masculinity in media and pop culture today be changed to break down stereotypes?